In the land of Intentional Creativity®, where I spend much of my time lately, we show up for transformation and community and fun.
We are sustained by roses and almonds and chocolate. So much so that planning a workshop experience means hunting ideal sources for food, as well as for paints and canvases. For a serious real-food foodie like me, it’s just that much more fun!
Here, with thanks to Danette May, who got me off to a great start, is the recipe for my latest creation:
Grammy’s Chocolate Almond Bark
- 1 c. organic roasted almonds with sea salt, coarsely chopped if desired
- 1 Tbsp. + 1/2 tsp. coconut oil, measured while solid
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. finely chopped excellent dark chocolate, like Greene & Black’s 85% cacao (about 2/3 of a 3.17 oz. bar) or dark chocolate chips
- 1 scoop Cacao Bliss or a slightly rounded Tbsp. of organic raw cacao powder
- 1 good pinch Anthony’s espresso baking powder, if desired (or instant espresso granules)
- 1 tsp. Maldon flaked sea salt for garnish if using unsalted almonds
Recipe doubles easily!
Line a sheet tray with unbleached parchment paper.
In a heavy saucepan (or double boiler) combine chocolate, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Stir over low heat until completely melted. Add Cacao powder and espresso powder and stir thoroughly. Add almonds and mix until covered.
Pour chocolate mixture onto tray with parchment paper, spreading evenly with a rubber spatula to a thin layer.
If you used salted almonds, you’re done. If you used unsalted nuts, sprinkle evenly with sea salt flakes, or omit if you prefer.
Refrigerate for an hour or until well set. Break into bite sized pieces and store, tightly covered, in fridge or freezer. Allow to warm a few minutes to cool room temp before serving, preferably with roses on the table!
Technically, I suppose, you could call it candy. I call it sustenance. Body. Mind. Spirit.
Or, in the eternal words of Charles M. Schulz…
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt.
Stay tuned for workshops coming soon!